01 02 03 Prone to Wander: Did I Miss Anything? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Did I Miss Anything?

34
Nope.
You weren’t there
so we all packed up
and went home.

Yep.
An in class essay
AND a quiz.
No make-ups.
Sorry.

Nope.
Nothing I teach
means anything.
Miss all you want.
It doesn’t matter.

Yep.
An angel
from heaven
appeared
and revealed
important things
about each
and every
one of our lives.
He was looking
for you.
Sorry you missed that.

Nope.
How could anything
important happen
if you weren’t there?
I mean, really…

Yep.
Everything we do
in my classroom
contributes
to your academic,
mental,
and emotional
health.
You might as well
make an appointment
with your therapist
to make up
for time lost.

Of course you missed something.

How about...

I am sorry
I wasn’t in class today.
I feel a void in my life,
which won’t be filled until
I make up my work
and attend class again.

By the way,
is there any way
we could schedule
an extra class too,
maybe on a Friday night
or Saturday morning?

I will never miss class again
and will bring you chocolate and coffee
periodically
for the rest of the semester.
Sincerest apologies.

-Renee Phile

(inspired by Tom’s Wayman’s poem, “Did I Miss Anything?”)


35 36 37 38